Discover Pigeon Creek
Pigeon Creek Park is 282 acres with another 130 adjacent acres of County Open Space land. Over ten miles of ski trails and snowshoe trails wind through old pine plantations, mature deciduous forests and through bottomland forests along the Pigeon River. The park is a popular cross country ski destination with groomed trails for both classic and ski skating. Ski trails are groomed, tracked and reset as needed throughout the day. A sledding hill is also provided. Three miles of ski trails and the sledding hill have are illuminated for evening use. The Pigeon Creek Lodge provides ski rental, a food and beverage concession and serves as a warming house. Hiking, dogs, biking, snowshoeing and horseback riding are not allowed on groomed cross country ski trails.
Cross-country and skate ski lessons are available on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays during January and February. Preregistration is required and space is limited. For exact dates, visit our program and events calendar.
The fee is $8 for the 1 ½ hour lesson. Skis are not provided, but can be rented at the lodge (see Fee section below). Rental is first-come, first-served and not guaranteed. More details will be e-mailed prior to class.
We offer three levels of classes:
- Beginner: Learn about equipment and basic techniques. For adults & children 10+; every two children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Intermediate: For experienced adult skiers wishing to refine their technique and ski more efficiently.
- Skate Ski: For experienced adult skiers who want to learn the basics of several skate techniques. Skate skis are required and a limited number are available to rent in the lodge.
March 1 through October 15: 7 am to 10 pm
October 16 through February 28: 7 am to 8 pm
The park is open until 10pm with hills and trails illuminated during satisfactory snow conditions. Visit our Winter Trail Conditions page to confirm snow conditions and Pigeon Creek Lodge hours.
The Pigeon Creek Lodge is open only during satisfactory snow conditions. Check the lodge hours and ski conditions online.
Monday-Thursday: 4pm to 8pm
Friday: 1pm to 10pm
Saturday: 9am to 10pm
Sunday: 9am to 8pm
There are no entry or trail fees.
Ski or Snow shoe rental (three hours): $8; $2 per additional hour
Snow shoe rental for those 6 and under is free with a paid adult rental
Skis and snowshoes may be rented whenever snow conditions are satisfactory. A picture ID or credit card required as security for all rentals. Rentals are cut off two hours before the lodge closes to ensure all equipment can be returned and checked in before closing.
- Dogs are permitted at Pigeon Creek Park during the spring, summer, and fall. Once the trails are groomed for cross country skiing, dogs are not permitted anywhere in the park. Call the administration office with questions.
- Dogs are required to be leashed (10’ max) and under control at all times.
- Dogs are not permitted in park buildings, restrooms, picnic shelters, playground areas, off-trail, or as posted.
- Owners must clean up after their pet and dispose of waste in a trash receptacle.
- Leader dogs for persons with disabilities are permitted in all areas at any time.
- Recognizing that most dogs enjoy running and playing freely, many Ottawa County Open Space Lands allow dogs year-round off leash.
- Group Camp Area (reservable for groups from recognized organizations)
- Hiking, biking and equestrian trails
- Picnic tables and grills
Once the snow falls and winter operations begin, hiking, dog walking, and horseback riding are not allowed at Pigeon Creek Park until spring.
- Cross country ski trails, lighted and groomed for both traditional and skate skiing
- Ski Lessons
- Sledding hill, lighted (no snowboards)
- Snow shoe trails
- Concession stand serving snacks and beverages at the Pigeon Creek Lodge (reservable April – October)
- Ski and snow shoe rental
Open All Seasons
- Modern and rustic toilets
- Parking lot
*Barrier free facilities include the lodge, restrooms, pit toilets, picnic tables and grills. About a mile of trail is generally within barrier free standards. The Group Camp Area is fully accessible with barrier free camp sites.